Last year was my first time dying eggs with ingredients from our own pantry. We did the same this year, except this year we tried to add a little something different. Odin and I picked a few beautiful leaves and flowers from our yard and I attached them to the hardboiled eggs. It’s actually very simple! You need some sheer pantyhose and some twine to tie the hose around the egg. Placing the flower face down on the egg and then carefully wrapping the egg with the hose and tying was very simple, even by myself. I prepared the dyes by boiling beets, red cabbage, and turmeric in water for 10 minutes each. One of the recipes I had read online said 1 cup chopped vegetable = 1 cup water, but I found it wasn’t quite enough water for me so I added a bit more. After the water had cooled, I strained the dyes with a mesh strainer and added the cooled liquid to jars. I added a few more bits of beet or cabbage in the dye jars, just to hopefully add a little more color. Then we just threw in the eggs wrapped in flowers. It took me all morning, which was not as long as I had imagined and they turned out beautifully!
Odin was so much more interested in egg hunting this year, and he definitely was the little pro. He received a very small easter basket with some beautiful felted toys from the beautiful Kirsten Rickert, a small mushroom whistle, and a new drawing pad because his 200 page one is completely full. We spent the weekend with family and friends and when we weren’t eating food with loved ones, we were in the garden planting seeds and watching bees and making music while Odin decorated my ukulele. We even flew Odin’s first kite, made by a dear friend, while Odin sat perched on Zak’s shoulders. It was the most fantastic weekend and I’m feeling pretty ready for the amount of work I have to do this week.